Sunday, August 30, 2015

Art journal week! Day 1

Hi guys, this coming week, I'll be sharing my August 2015 art journal. I completed all the layouts this month, so the title for the journal was a no-brainer :) There are 14 two-page spreads in the journal, so I will post 2 a day. So I hope you stop by this week to check out the inside of the album!

I used an old "Storybook" by Fancy Pants. I tore out a few pages and glued some together so it wouldn't get too bulky since the spine was designed for something small and flat.

Mixed Media Art Journal cover by Ilene Tell

To create the cover, I dug up some old Thickers that had fallen off the sheets and were waiting to be trashed, and tore off the sticky backs (since they had gotten dusty and dirty). I glued the thickers down with gel medium and then gave the whole cover a couple coats of gesso. I then prayed it with BoBunny gold and bronze mists and a couple other colors, and then went over it with metallic gelatos.


To make the title stand out, I painted the word "August" and the date "2015" with gesso again, and then painted over that with gold paint. I also added an old Maya Road chipboard word "imagination" and painted that with some gelatos just on top, so it would stand out a little bit from the rest of the cover (but not as much as the main title).

Mixed Media Art Journal cover detail by Ilene Tell
























Here's how the album looks inside... stay tuned for a look inside coming all this week :)






































And here's the back of the album - it's hard to catch on camera how beautiful the gold and bronze really look. There's some shimmery blue there as well.



3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to taking a peek inside. Your cover looks wonderful - great idea to use older thickers! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant creating! Love the use of the alphas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cover fab way to use up random letters you cant make a word with! love the colours!

    ReplyDelete

I so appreciate you taking the time to comment! I love reading them!!